[MacDV] Stabilize video

Alex alex at fotomotion.net
Mon Feb 21 07:10:48 PST 2005

Hi Paul

I use FCP extensively and all my shots were assembled in FCP
The iStabalize program works as a standalone app.
I opened the footage with istabalize, these were simply sitting in a
capture scratch folder for the project.
With a minimum of setup I stabilized several video pieces, saving them
as separate files.
These files were then imported into FCP and replaced the original ones.

As the program uses the QuickTime engine for opening and saving files
it can also use any of QuickTime's import / export settings.
But that is all in the background, all you use is istabilize.
Its not quite as elegant as it would be as a plugin for FCP, but does
offer its power into the workflow of any other app's, being standalone.
This a very small price to pay in usability and some may argue that it
is in the apps favor, depending on how they work.

either way it cost me $69 or £36 or €53 depending where you are.
It stabilized footage in 6 minutes beautifully, that the FCP stabilize
plugin took 23 minutes to render and did a worse job!

For this type of video filter it does a damm fine job at a damm fine
price.

Alex