[MacDV] QuickTime Screen Size

Vtstream vtstream at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 19 07:14:46 PST 2005

I wonder if this has to do with the fact that a computer pixel is square while a Television
"pixel?" is rectangular. I too am confused about this ratio.

Steve Robertson <stever at mindspring.com> wrote:
We've discussed this before, but I'm still a little confused.

Full quality DV is 720 pixels by 480 pixels - a 3 to 2 aspect ratio. it
seems to me that - when making a Quicktime movie - you would want to
try to maintain that 3 to 2 ratio. Which would give you possible
QuickTime screen sizes of 360 by 240, or 240 by 160. yet it seems like
everybody recommends Quicktime screen sizes of 320 by 240 or 240 by 180
- which are, however, 4 to 3 aspect ratios - matching the standard TV
ratio.

Does QuickTime do something to the video during encoding to change the
aspect ratio without squishing the people in the video?

Admittedly, if you export a QuickTime movie as full quality DV and play
it in the QuickTime Player, the proportions look a little odd. Maybe
full quality DV displays in the wrong proportion on a computer screen
and QuickTime is just compensating.

Steve R.

Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff: