[MacDV] Re: vhs conversion

Patty Winter patty1 at sonic.net
Thu May 26 18:44:20 PDT 2005

   >From: sb <videovideo at mac.com>
   >
   >If you have a new dual-layer DVD burner, you can fit more on it, otherwise,
   >you'll get just a smidgen less than 2 hours per DVD, which, if you delete
   >the commercials, will easily allow you to put two episodes on each disc.

Anyone here got any opinions on making DVDs at 1-hr. mode instead of
2-hr. mode? I've got a bunch of tapes I need to archive, and am trying
to decide how many to put per DVD. My inclination is to use 1-hr. mode,
but maybe the difference isn't visible on home TVs. Yeah, I know--I could
try both and see whether I can see the difference. ;-) And I do plan to
do that. But what if I get a 50-inch TV a few years down the line and
*then* discover that the difference is visible?

   >Once you have the converter box, you can set up your Mac to capture the TV
   >show directly onto the hard drive with iMovie in real time. Makes it much
   >easier/faster to archive those favs!

Yeah, I've been doing that directly from my satellite TV receiver.
Very slick!

Patty