[MacDV] New G5 dies, mac servicing, photos altered, web design warning

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Tue Oct 4 06:28:58 PDT 2005

On Oct 3, 2005, at 6:36 PM, Ron wrote:

> I have never had to have any of my Macs  serviced and I have
> several  since 1985. Same with my sons and daughter.
>
> I would seriously check out my electrical supply circuits if I were
> you and install a UPS.

I've mentioned it in other places, but it seems like some people
hardly ever have problems with Macs, and another group that has
nothing but trouble with Macs -and suggestions like this are one
potential reason. Not only power spikes, but continuously high
voltage or periodic low voltages. Usage patterns may be another
factor -starting up the computer, using it for a short period,
shutting down.... Basically starting up and shutting down the
computer every time its used.

I've used Macs since my first brand new Mac Plus both at home and
work. That spans dozens of different Macs and many different models.
There are only a handful of hardware repairs that ever needed to be
done. An 8100 needed a new power supply when it was ~4 years old
(still running in a research lab collecting data to this day), a
bondi iMac that needed a new hard drive just after the warranty ran
out and is now setting unused because the CD drive gave out about a
year ago. There was also another iMac (DV) that needed a new hard
drive after about 3 years. And my old IIvx no longer boots from the
internal hard drive, works great otherwise.

Now if you want to talk printers....

-Mike