[MacDV] Recording broadcast TV in HD

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Mon Sep 26 09:37:01 PDT 2005

I'm considering the purchase of an HDTV monitor and would like the ability to
record off the air in HD for time-delay or saving. I know this can be done
with things like Tivo and services from cable or satellite companies, but my
recording is needs are infrequent and I will not likely want to pay for
satellite or cable service or the monthly Tivo fee.

I saw that there are HD tuners available for off-the-air reception and I do
have an older backup PowerBook that I could employ as a recorder.

I am wondering if such a set of equipment could be connected to work as a
recording mechanism for HD or is it more cost-effective or better overall to
consider another way? I am looking at a way of doing it without having to
invest in additional expensive equipment. Commercial software purchase would
be OK if the price is right.

I currently can record off the air to the PowerBook using a Canopus box into
iMovie, which works well, but it is not HD.
--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com