[MacDV] Re: Exporting avi from iMovie

rgb at ellerbach.com rgb at ellerbach.com
Thu Sep 29 06:49:23 PDT 2005

On [2005-Sep-28]  Richard Gilmore <rgilmor at uwo.ca> wrote:
> Glad to know I'm not alone but this isn't helping me much. We've got a M$
> developers license here so the IT guys are married to Windows. I'll try
> exporting the DV stream or try and find some other way of doing this. I
wish
> they hadn't lost the original tapes which just compounds the problem. If it
> would just export a large AVI file I'd be happy.

Richard,

I ran a few tests last night on a 14min movie I have (largest that is
still on disc) trying different avi creations. Unfortunately any avi movie
larger than 4GB would not play back. The files (anywhere up to 12 GB) were
created without complaint by QTPro but if they were > 4GB they wouldn't
play correctly.

Does anyone know if standard video players on MSPCs (WMP) will play MP4
video and, if so, what settings in QTPro will let you make such files? You
can get much better files using MPEG-4 than with AVI and that is a less
expensive route than buying Flip4Mac to make your own WMV files (and
someone mentioned WMV format is not such a friendly one for the server).

Rich