[MacDV] Audio for the web.

pegasus pegasus at pegasuscreations.com
Tue Mar 14 20:17:52 PST 2006

Your best bet would be to take the audio and make a .mp3 file out of it.

You have two ways of accomplishing this.

First, for both options, you export the audio from iMovie as a QuickTime
movie. You will have to put a single frame of video on the iMovie track to
export it. I usually put a still image from iPhoto on the video line to
accomplish this. Then, you go into QuickTime, extract the audio track and
save it as an .aiff file.

OPTION 1: iTunes

Drag that file into iTunes. Open up your preferences and choose the Advanced
button, then the Import button. Select the Use .mp3 encoder and choose the
Higher (192 Kpbs) setting if you want the best audio. If the track is of
someone speaking, you could choose a lower setting. Choose Custom under the
Setting below the .mp3 encoder and choose 96 Kbps. This will give you an
acceptable sounding file, plus make the file size smaller.

Then, go to your iTunes Library and make sure the check boxes next to all of
the items in the Library are off EXCEPT for the one by the .aiff file you
have drug in (it may be at the bottom of the list, depending on its name).
Then, hit the Import button in the upper right and the file will be
converted to a .mp3 selection and stored in the Music folder on your Mac in
the iTunes Library folder. You can then take the .mp3 file and give it to
the folks who are wanting it for the Web.

OPTION 2: QuickTime Itself

This option is easier, but you have fewer controls over your .mp3. After you
extract the audio track, you select Export under the File menu and you
choose Movie to MPEG Audio Layer 3. This also creates a .mp3 file from your
audio track; however, you will have to accept the default settings in
QuickTime for the export (which I think is 128 Kbps). That will also give an
acceptable .mp3 file, but it would be larger than the 96 Kbps file in iTunes
we discussed earlier. This may work for the Web folks, but they usually like
smaller audio and video files since many people still have a dial-up
connection to the Internet.

If I haven't been clear on anything, please e-mail back and I'll try to
straighten up any confusion.

wncmacs