[MacDV] how many hours (QT) will fit on 500GB drive?

Aaron macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm
Sat Nov 4 02:01:39 PST 2006

I know this is a bit late, but I'll inject some thoughts anyway.

The first thing to consider is that QuickTime can do compression using a number of codecs and, for each codec, at a wide range of bit rates. The number of variables that can be adjusted for each codec can be mind-boggling. But I'd say that you could get decent quality using as little as 300 MB per hour of video using H.264 compression.

However, if you're trying to get both good quality and high compression, the process will be, even with the fastest dual G4, several times slower than real time. (In other words, it will take several minutes to compress each minute of video.)

If you do want to save the video in compressed form, and you'll need to do that unless you have the money and storage space for 13 GB of hard disk storage per hour of video, you may be better off using a hardware digitizer that compresses while it digitizes, rather than a Media Converter that produces uncompressed DV output. I can't claim any specific knowledge about such digitizers, but perhaps others on this list may have useful information. I'd be interested in knowing about them myself.

 - Aaron