[MacDV] Photoshop resolution for DV?

rgb at ellerbach.com rgb at ellerbach.com
Mon Nov 6 07:25:41 PST 2006

On Mon, November 6, 2006 9:38 am, Mark Des Cotes wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> As I mentioned in my earlier posts I'm new to DV creation. I've been
> a graphic designer for over 15 years but I've mostly been designing
> for print. The first video I'm creating will consist of mostly still
> images created in Photoshop that I will pan across and zoom in and
> out of. I will be burning the video to DVD and it will be viewed on a
> 37" 9:16 LCD TV. How do I figure out what size and resolution to
> create my Photoshop documents?

Resolution is an irrelevant concept for video work (or any non-hardcopy
output). The only thing that matters is the number of pixels in width and
height.

The easiest thing to do is to find what the smallest part of one of your
images that you'll want to see full screen and that'll dictate how many
pixels you'll need for that portion. Then simply use that to figure out
how big the original needs to be to have that many pixels in the
sub-picture. Make all of your originals that size and then use something
like PhotoToMovie to do your panning and zooming and the rest should be
taken care of for you.

Rich