[MacDV] Formatting problem: video in PowerPoint

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Mon Feb 19 18:07:34 PST 2007

On Feb 19, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Ehrhart, Robert wrote:

> I need some help! I’m trying to come up with the configuration that
> will
> allow me to play some videos in a PowerPoint presentation. I
> converted the
> file to an avi with CinePak compression in Quicktime, but the image
> quality
> is horrible. I converted it into a .wmv file from mpeg streamline,
> but it
> won’t play in PowerPoint. A test of the .mpeg is posted here:
>
> http://www.mindspring.com/~ehrhart/files/
> <http://www.mindspring.com/~ehrhart/files/>
>
> the file is the only one in the folder, named Test070210.mpeg
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions about how to format the video
> file? It has
> to be compatible with PowerPoint—this is for a cd of video
> testimonials that
> a sales force will use to customize their presentations.

First a couple of observations/questions.

What is mpeg streamline? Do you mean MPEG StreamClip? If so, MPEG
StreamClip does not create .wmv files. What did you create using MPEG
StreamClip?

I downloaded the file you have, and it is an MPEG2 file. Is this the
original file that you are converting from?

Use MPEG StreamClip to convert that to an AVI, or use Flip4Mac to
convert to a .WMV. It's possible that FFMPEG will also convert to AVI.

 From reading the other responses, you do not have the luxury of
expecting your recipients to be able to install QuickTime or anything
else, for that matter.

For that then, you have to encode to your audience, WMV. All Windows
machines can play WMV, just like all Macs can play QuickTime files.

Buy the Flip4Mac studio that will allow you to export to WMV and be
done with it.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net