[MacDV] Encoding recommendations

Conlon Brett brettnlis at bigpond.com
Sun Aug 3 04:32:18 PDT 2008

Hi all,

The current corporate project I'm building is 3hrs 20mins in total.
They've thrown bugger-all budget at me to build this thing and I'm
hoping to keep it to a single layer DVD.

I'm using FCP Studio 6 and am impressed with the new compressor's
quality (and speed) at the lower bitrates but I'm looking for advice
from those who do this on a regular basis on whether I'm pushing my
luck at fitting 3+hrs on a DVD-5 disc.

I've set up some test encodings at both CBR 3.0 and VBR 2.6 - 5.1 (tho
I haven't burned a disc and looked at it on TV yet). I don't think all
the assets encoded at CBR 3.0 are going to quite fit (I'll be a few
hundred MB oversized) so I'd be looking at using a lower CBR or seeing
how the VBR 2.6 - 5.1 goes.

Recommendations anyone?

Your thoughts are MOST appreciated!

Cheers,