[MacDV] Getting Flip video files in FCP

sb videovideo at mac.com
Sat Feb 13 15:00:02 PST 2010

If you have FCE you can use MPEG Streamclip to convert to Apple Intermediate codec.

If you have FCP you can use Compressor to convert to ProRes.

Otherwise, when you import the mp4 in FCP, you will have to render everything all the time.
The error message you are getting indicate that your original material, capture settings and your sequence settings are different.
I believe the Flip frame size is 720p (not 100% sure, but you can tell by just looking at it in QT) and it's an MP4, which is a delivery format, not an editing format. So, you can import and FCP will convert on the fly to an editing format. Hence, the render bars on everything.

In FCP, for the closest capture and sequence settings, use the ProRez 720p 60 - but it depends entirely on what was recorded, so look it up in QT and then modify the preset to match exactly.

Or, use compressor to convert to a standard preset like ProRes and not have all these issues.

 regards,

 sb