[MG] so what's been up with the list?

Gregory Davis grgdavis at swbell.net
Thu Nov 25 02:55:27 PST 2004

I too was wondering about the list.

Working in a computer store I've noticed a lot of software (games) that
are out for the mac.

Vendetta was one that we just got in and it is a triple hybrid CD, Mac,
Linux and Windows.

We have also gotten a lot of other new games in at CUSA for the Mac.
My question to you guys is are you buying them.

Today World of Warcraft was released.  How many people bought it.

Lately it's all I can do to keep up the Apple Shop at the store while
working on my video editing projects for my family.  I haven't really
had time for gaming.

I've sold lots of CPU's but I sell them on the basis of iLife not
games.  The games are there. If you want more then you need to buy
them.  Problem is there aren't that many sales.  People seem to be
using their Macs for purposes other than entertainment.

So, I'm not sure that it would be that beneficial for Apple to put a
500 dollar video card in the new iMacs.

However, the gamer in me would like to see a special iMac Gamer
edition.  I doubt this would ever happen.  Maybe someone should start a
grass roots movement and petition Apple to make an iMac special edition
for Gaming.  However, this would take a lot of signatures and if people
didn't buy the machine then it would probably never happen again.  I'm
guessing that Apple would go back to putting in video cards that are
acceptable for gaming in the iMacs.

What do you guys think Apple should put in a gaming iMac G5 and then
what do you think they should charge?

I'd like to see your answers.  Think about it this way.

Before you answer think of the following.

If you put a NVIDIA 6800 Ultra in the machine for gaming then you
better be willing to pay 500 dollars more for a 20 inch iMac.  Are you
willing to pay 2300 dollars for it?  How many people would pay (think
parents here) 2300 vs 1800 for the gaming iMac?

It astounds me that this conversation exist.  I look at PC's everyday
with crappy video cards.  The good thing about the PC's is that someone
buys a crappy, cheap PC and then pulls out the Video card and replaces
it with an expensive video card for gaming.  How many would be willing
to do that with an iMac?

If you are willing to do the above then why wouldn't you buy a single
1.8 G5 and upgrade it's video card?

I don't know the answers but there are a lot of possibilities.

What would you guys like to see?  An iMac with a hot video card or
would you rather take that money and buy a tower, monitor and graphics
card upgrade?

Greg