[MPA] Good microphone?

Gene Bogart gbogart at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 18 15:25:58 PDT 2003

> Re: [MPA] Good microphone?
> From: Bob Olhsson <olh at hyperback.com>
>
> At 1:58 PM -0600 4/15/03, Randy Wilson wrote:
>> I'd like to get a decent microphone (like around $100) for use in mostly
>> home use, such as recording people singing, playing the guitar, perhaps
>> piano, narrating digital video, etc.
>
> The Shure SM-57 is outstanding in non-studio environments.
> I wouldn't try to use a condenser mike because you'll go nuts dealing
> with traffic noise ...

I second Bob's recommendation of the Shure SM-57.  I use a large-diaphragm
condenser (RØDE NTK) for voiceover work; a gorgeous mic, absolutely
beautiful sound...  but the studio room can sound dead quiet to my ears --
I put on the cans, and I'm hearing airplanes, cars on the Interstate, a
train...  Take off the cans, I hear nothing!  The mic is so damn
sensitive...  Noise-gating tames the problem, while not completely solving
it. (I must do some more extensive sound treatment on my exterior wall!)

But the SM-57 is one of the best mics (certainly in the $100 range) ever
made. It will sound quite decent for voiceover - I've used them many times
over the years, with great results - and it's a great choice for singing,
guitars, and hot sources like snare drum, cowbell, tambourine...  almost
impossible to overload.  And the somewhat-lesser-sensitivity makes it a
really good choice for recording in somewhat noisy environments.

Even if you move up to a more expensive solution later on, you'll always
find use for an SM-57 in your studio...  I know I still do.

--
Gene Bogart

Bogart Voiceover Productions
* ABC-TV25(WPBF) Announcer *