[MPA] Set Up Help

Scott Baldwin sbaldwin at san.rr.com
Sat Feb 8 12:06:55 PST 2003

Richard,

I don't have all the information, but let's see what we can do.

First of all the fastlane MIDI interface comes with either a USB or
serial connector, to connect it to the computer.  Which do you have?
I'm not sure, but I don't think the Titanium has a serial port, only
USB.  So first you have to determine if you can connect your Fastlane
to the computer.  Has to be either serial or USB on both the Fastlane
and computer.  Of course you would need the appropriate cable (serial
or USB!) to connect the two.

I don't know what MIDI player you are using on the Mac, but if you are
running it in Classic (OS 9.2) Chances are you will need OMS or
FreeMidi.  OMS and FreeMidi are  software applications used to connect
MIDI software to MIDI interfaces.  OMS is available for download at
many places on the web.  FreeMidi is available on the MOTU website.

It is possible that your MIDI player doesn't need either of these.  You
have to look at whatever documentation you have to figure out it's
requirements.

 From the Fastlane MIDI interface to the X5DR  you need a single MIDI
cable.  You connect this to the "MIDI out" on the Fastlane, to the
"MIDI in" on the X5DR.

The Audio connectors on the X5DR are then connected to the audio inputs
on the amp, which is connected to the speakers.

So the chain is this:

MIDIplayer----->OMS(if needed)-------serial or USB cable----------->
Fastlane----MIDI cable------> X5DR-----audio
cable(s)----->amp-----audio cable(s)------>speakers