converting vinyl to CD

Scott Baldwin sbaldwin at san.rr.com
Thu Feb 13 14:35:34 PST 2003

100 records!

Are you sure you want to do this?  Keep in mind that you have to do
this conversion in real time,  thus about 100 hours to record into your
computer, figure at least an hour/CD to "clean up" the tracks and burn
the CD.  So if you are very efficient 200 hours for this project.

You need: (assuming you have a CD burner)

an audio interface
audio software
hard drive
100 CD blanks

Yes a new hard drive. To convert 100 albums to CD quality sound you
will need about 50 gig's of space. (CD Stereo audio is 10 MB/min)

So figure about $500.00- $600.00  to get everything you need.

Then figure what tying up your computer and 200 hours of your time is
worth.   ($10.00/ hour? = $2000.00)

So about $2,500.00 (25.00/CD) to wind up with 100 CD's that I guarantee
will be of lower quality than commercial CD's.

Consider replacing your collection with CD's.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Scott