[MPA] Real Time A/V FX Advice

Ralph Garrett ralphbones at kc.rr.com
Tue Feb 25 23:23:30 PST 2003

On Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003, at 15:13 US/Central, lazy right eye wrote:

> I have an iBook/500, 10.2.4, 640M RAM, and would love to (at least at
> certain portions of the performance) be able to send audio signal from
> the soundboard > iBook > LCD projector, and project real time,
> iTunes-like visuals that move to the real time audio signal.
> Is this possible?
> If so, how?

Yes, depending on what audio inputs and video outputs you have on that
iBook. You'll have to adapt your outputs from your sound board to the
audio inputs on the Mac and check to make sure the video inputs on the
LCD projector match the outputs on your Mac.

On an iMac:  board 2x 1/4" > 1/8" mini stereo jack gets the sound in to
the Mac. VGA to VGA for the video to the LCD. eMacs use a mini VGA to
VGA adaptor. Titanium G4's use a DVI to VGA or s-video etc. You might
have to build a custom cable or two, but it's doable.

  G-Force has a standalone Visualizer that will do the visuals. G-Force
isn't Altivec enabled so clock speed and video cards affect performance
more than G3 vs. G4.

I've been doing this with an NEC projector (don't have the model, it's
at school) and it ROCKS!

Ralph