[MPA] Real Time A/V FX Advice

Lance Trickey lancetrickey at mac.com
Wed Feb 26 08:39:25 PST 2003

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 08:26  AM, lazyrighteye wrote:

> Subject: [MPA] Real Time A/V FX Advice
> Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:13:42 -0700
>
> Hey users,
> I have an opportunity to run audio/video for a jazz/rock band in May.
> The
> theater we are playing in, can provide us (amongst other things) an LCD
> projector.
>
> I have an iBook/500, 10.2.4, 640M RAM, and would love to (at least at
> certain portions of the performance) be able to send audio signal from
> the
> soundboard > iBook > LCD projector, and project real time, iTunes-like
> visuals that move to the real time audio signal.
> Is this possible?
> If so, how?
>
> Oh, and for what it's worth, I also have a desktop G4/500, 1G RAM,
> 10.2.4
> (if, for some reason, those PCI slots and/or the G4 processor matter).
>
> Thanks all,
> lazyrighteye

the G4 might work best. but try them both and see.

look into Arkaos VJ  which allows synchronized multimedia.
http://www.arkaos.net

you could even use Gforce by Andy O'Meara  http://www.55ware.com/gforce/

one thing to keep in mind is that these tend to be reactive to the
strongest parts of the audio signal. You can try to control what bits
are dominant by doing some very radical EQ'ing between the sound board
and the computer. Like using a lowpass to only provide bass tones to
the visualizer. No one will be hearing your submix so it's only purpose
would be to isolate the frequencies that make the visualizer look best.
  A programable multi-band EQ would work best here. You could set up
"scenes" in this way. Also , being able to mute the input to the
visualizer if some one is just talking would be a nice touch.

I have played around with Gforce in this way and the results are much
better than using the material unaltered.