Audio Interface Advice?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Jan 22 17:09:41 PST 2004

I'm looking to replace my current system for doing Audio work.  Currently I
have a PowerMac 8500/180 with 160MB RAM, a Echo Audio Darla24 Soundcard,
and I'm using Bias Peak 2.x (2.1 I think, it's about 4 years old), and the
RayGun plugin for cleaning up audio.  I've also got a Serial Midiman Midi
interface, and a cheap Yamaha keyboard (I never have gotten around to using
these, they were bought on a whim to see how MIDI works).

When I put the system together, my main system was the brand new G4/450 AGP.
I replaced that system about two months ago with a G5 2x2.  I'm thinking
that I might as well let the G5 2x2 handle the audio work, I've already got
it setup for doing video, and I'll be wanting the Audio tools for that as
well as normal audio work.

Besides using the tools some for home video (with FCE, and DVD SP2), the
real use will be for doing archival copies of things 78's and the like.  As
part of the upgrade I plan on getting an Esoteric Sound turntable (most
likely the ATEN 16" model).

Given the use, I want pretty much as high of quality audio interface as I
can get.  How good of quality is the G5's onboard digital audio interface?
What sort of interfaces would people recommend?

			Zane