[MPA] Audio/MIDI apps

luke etyrnal at ameritech.net
Wed Jul 14 16:30:59 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, July 13, 2004, at 11:52  PM, Geoff Kaiser wrote:

> What you described for audio basically just sounds like a sampler...

no way...  i've been using samplers since the beginning - not what i am
talking about.

> If you wanted you could use your various song sections as samples and
> trigger them
> when you wanted;

i could also dig out my 4-track recorder and use that - and start
splicing.

what you told me is what every single person on the Steinberg forums
who doesn't entirely understand the power of the concept says....

...using a 'sampler' in this case would take forever...  there goes the
whole idea of rapid composition...  streamlining workflow...  etc....

with your suggestion we just went from:

1.) select range of material (any midi, audio, controller data,
automation data, etc)
2.) assign to key (midi or keyboard)
3.) start recording
4.) play into arrangement
done.  (this is my method/idea)

now with your idea...

1.) start soloing/muting tracks
          1.5.) also turn off effects for export - we want the effects
to be generated for real
	not from the recording - other wise we'd have to do this whole export
process over
	every-time we want to change the effects in production
2.) export as audio
3.) generate sampler instance
4.) load audio track as sample (maybe being large files and using more
memory)
5.) assign the sample(s) to some midi keys...
6.) try to set up the level of the played sample to be identical to the
original
7.) set the mixer track to be that same as the tracks of the originally
recorded material so that the same eq/effects etc are achived...
	7.5.) not entirely possible since we may need to adjust the effects,
eq's or levels of just ONE of the originally exported tracks...
8.) start recording
9.) play the sampler at the appropriate places...

i do NOT understand why NOBODY get's this...

maybe i just do not explain it right.

the "Sampler way" - SUCKS BIG TIME.

there are SO many problems with it.

my way keeps everything in tact.

>  I know a couple guys who used to record this way,
> triggering song sections with samplers and using an ADAT as a master,
> before
> they got ProTools...

exactly - BEFORE they got a better tool to try to do it.

now they would laugh at anyone who would use the antique method of
samplers.

one day when someone understands my idea and implements it - I'll
breathe a big sigh of relief and smile.