[MPA] The Dark Side grows, Avid to acquire Pinnacle.

Peter Kirn peterkirn at mac.com
Mon Mar 21 09:11:24 PST 2005

Hey Jay -- Jedi, remain strong, but check your facts! ;-)

Pinnacle no longer owns Steinberg. It was acquired by Yamaha a few
months ago. I talk about this today on my blog:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=327&Itemid=44

In fact, Avid probably wouldn't have bothered paying the $$ for
Pinnacle if they still owned Steinberg; it would have increased the
price for software they didn't want anyway. This deal is entirely about
video, not audio. And unless you're a really huge fan of Dazzle on the
PC, not too much reason to cry, though this does make Avid more
powerful in the broadcast market.

I'm guessing Pinnacle put Steinberg on the block in order to slim
themselves down to be taken over themselves.

Peter