[MV] Re: ViaVoice vs. iListen

JSenecal at aol.com JSenecal at aol.com
Tue Jun 17 12:56:23 PDT 2003

>I'm going to buy one or both of these programs anyway so
>I won't ask you to describe exactly how use them to
>generate code.   But if you care to share, I'll
>eagerly and gratefully read any followup posts.

In general, programing by voice consists of 3 issues.

1) Dictation software is optimized for English. Accuracy for programming
will start out very low, though it does get better with time (and
correction). Plus the strange word ordering for programming may degrade
it's accuracy for English. This last isn't a problem for me, my
programming and E-Mail environments are different machines.

2) You need to be able to add words and symbols for jargon, operators,
and abbreviations. I don't try to add multiword variable or function
names unless they are very common. With ViaVoice you can use either the
Macro Editor or the Vocabulary Editor to add words. Use the Vocabulary
Editor if they are pronounced as they look, otherwise use the Macro
Editor. With iListen just use the correction feature to add new words.
For word fragments, I compare the phonetic spelling of the word fragment
by itself with the phonetic spelling of the entire word. Sometimes a
iListen guesses a different pronunciation than what you will be using.
You can always change the phonetics later.

3) You need absolute control of case and spacing. With ViaVoice I do this
with Text Macros that might type no text (but control spacing and case of
the words around them). My favorite is "Shift Space" which combines
"Shift Key" (capitalize next word) with "No Space" (suppress space before
next word). I also do variant punctuation macros for when I want other
than the standard English spacing. iListen case and spacing commands
affect all following text. Here I made several Mode commands to change
all case and spacing settings with a single command. The ones I use are
"Normal Mode" (all options off), "Program Mode" (lowercase, no space),
"Variable Mode" (Capitalize, no space), and "Title Mode" (Capitalize). I
also use the standard commands. After commit corrections, iListen will
type the first word with no leading space and capitalized, though you can
override that with "Space     Begin Lower Case".

Not specific to programming, but for voice control in general, I make
macros to move the cursor or do selections. Eventually I get this done
for characters, words, and lines. Generally I'll have commands for
1,2,3,4,5, and 10 units. I got these numbers from PowerSecretary's built
in commands, and continue using them because they make sense. I can't
easily count higher than 5 at a glance. And 10 gives me a generic "a lot"
command. For ViaVoice this also requires QuicKeys, since ViaVoice can
only generate a single keystroke. iListen can do these commands directly.

Joe Senecal/Crazy programmer