[MV] Re: Comparing iListen and ViaVoice in 2004...

thechuck at mac.com thechuck at mac.com
Wed Jan 21 14:38:39 PST 2004

Dave (and everyone else):

To clarify, I worked very hard to get my accuracy that high... and it
occurred over months, not days. I *do* dictate, particularly when I
need to put hard copy into the computer. I find dictating in this
instance preferable to OCR or typing. I also do quite a bit of
dictation when testing a new version (I continually tested new versions
of both iListen and ViaVoice).

But for day to day use (such as this email) my brain is still wired in
such a way that I am more comfortable typing.

There is no secret to getting good accuracy.

1). Dictate whenever you can.
2). Employ correction.
3). Teach it new words.
4). Use a high-quality, noise-canceling microphone.

This advice applies to any speech recognition product - not just
iListen.

Regarding microphones, I still think an analog mic into my good old
reliable Pismo renders better accuracy than USB mics, or analog mics
with USB pods. I realize this is not an option for anyone with a newer
Mac, however.

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers