[Ti] UNIX/LINUX APPS

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Tue Dec 3 10:34:32 PST 2002

Douglas Hawkins wrote:
> LISTERS,
>  Is ther eany way we can Use the Linux/Unix side of
> OSX? I am relatively New to X and wish to be able to
> use some LINUX APPS also. Thanks...>Dug

The key is, are you new to unix?  It all depends on exactly *what* you
want to try to run.

First, basics: Just fire up a terminal window and you have a BSD command
line.  Alternatively, you can hold down cmd s when you boot and get to a
single user unix root shell sans the Aqua GUI.  Just be advised you
cannot do "start x" or anything to start the OS X GUI from a unix shell.
  You have to reboot.  The reason is because you're running just the
Darwin kernel and you also need to boot the Mach microkernel that
provides the GUI functionality for OS X.  I run both OS X and Debian
GNU/Linux with XFree86 4.2 and KDE 3 on my G4/400.  I can run KDE 3 in X
right over the top of Aqua if I want.

You can grab precompiled binaries thru Fink, using Debian APT (Advanced
Package Tool) if you want, or you can use Debian dsleect and dpkg to
install or remove precompiled binaries.  Go the to command line and type
man apt-get or man dselect for the unix man pages on these command line
tools.

Alternatively, you can compile your own binaries from source.  This is
currently the only option for software that is not available from Fink,
but new stuff is being added there every day.
--
Chris Olson
Network Administrator