[Ti] PowerBook sighting!

Mike Stanley macguy at guarded-inn.com
Mon Dec 9 10:23:13 PST 2002

On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 12:48 PM, Henry Kalir wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Mike Stanley wrote:
>

>> On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 11:39 AM, Shawn King wrote:
>>
>>> Well, Apple never "placed" those products there. The Set Designers
>>> were fans
>>> of Apple's products and they put them there themselves. As a matter
>>> of
>>> fact,
>>> Jerry Seinfeld doesn't use a computer.
>>>
>>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> It does, and thanks for taking the time to explain it.
>>
>> I guess it makes sense - when I see celebrities interviews on The
>> Screen Savers I'd say 9/10 times when they're asked if they have a
>> computer (well, those who do anyway) they say that it is a Mac.  If
>> Macs are that pervasive among the actors and such and are used in the
>> actual production like I've heard they are I guess it makes sense.
>
> I guess then that one could conclude that this has no effect
> whatsoever on
> the market side of things, else how do you account for Apple's
> miniscule
> market share?

Who said anything about the market side of things?

But no, I don't think the fact that a whole bunch of artists and other
entertainment types use Macs has much, if any, impact on the "market
side of things."  They may all use a particular brand of toilet paper
as well, but unless they're promoting it in commercials and other
advertisements their toilet paper may well be a niche product as well.

I don't account for Apple's miniscule market share.  I'm a classicist
by education, a system administrator by profession, and a recent
switcher by choice.  I've never owned my own Macintosh although I would
say before that was a choice dictated as much by cost as it was by my
own perception at the time (and still mostly today) of the MacOS over
the years being "not so great" to be nice.  OS X and the TiBook I have
from work brought me happily into the Mac fold and I'll continue to use
them as long as possible even if Apple continues to have a miniscule
market share - even if it means I have to buy my own Macs for home.

For all I know Bill Gates made a deal with the devil years ago, but I'd
guess it is more likely related to the historically high price of Mac
machines and the comparative lack of selection when it comes to
software.  No flames, please, I'm on your side now - I'm just thinking
out loud based on my own experiences and those of people I know.