[Ti] very rare, in OS X

Paul Russell prussell at arc-software.com
Wed Apr 2 12:20:44 PST 2003

>Yes - if there is one thing I *absolutey* adore about OS X, is it's
>stability. I get the occasional crashes, but nothing like I did when
>I was on Windows. Now that I have been off Windows for a year, my
>life has improved. I am happy in the mornings, ready to greet the
>day with vibrant expectation. I no longer get cranky, frustrated, or
>upset at the littlest things. My social life has improved, and I no
>longer get frequent headaches or red eyes.

The one thing that still does not seem to have been addressed in any
release up to 10.2.4 is the ability of the Finder to completely bog
down the machine to the point where you have to do a hard reset.

Here's one for the masochists among us to try:

1) Mount an SMB share

2) Shut down or otherwise disable the file sharing on the remote machine

3) Double click on the (now unavailable) volume on your desktop

4) Tear out handfuls of your own hair in frustration

I've tried to educate myself not to get into this situation but it
still happens occasionally, e.g. when I forget to dismount a share at
work before putting the PowerBook to sleep and going home.

Paul