[Ti] 80 GB HD warnings

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Sat Apr 5 13:00:06 PST 2003

on 4/5/2003 1:00 AM, Steve Wozniak at steve at woz.org wrote:

> At 11:30 PM -0800 2003.04.04, Paul Russell wrote:
>
>>> So there appears to be some volume size limitation, and it applies to both
>>> TiBooks and Big Als.
>>
>> Interesting - 64Gb is 36 bits, which seems an unlikely number at which to
>> have some sort of limitation, but who knows ? I thought HFS+ was all 64 bit,
>> but maybe it's something more subtle than that ?
>
> Well, it's possible that the volume size limitation is only in a driver bug or
> in the installer itself, the one that came with my Big Al's.
>
> Anyway, I plan to install over and over until I can narrow down the size that
> works. Maybe I'll start with 64 GB. Obviously, 80 GB drives work fine in
> towers.

Don't forget that the actual number may be some multiple of the actual
limitation.  Anyone remember the maximum number of resources in a file
(2727) was due to limitations within how the resource manager laid out its
internal file structures...

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver