[Ti] Can I use bottom bezel/parts from a 667 for a 550

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Mon Apr 7 17:36:05 PDT 2003

No, you can't; the bottom case does not include any part of the latch.
The top case includes the latch.
Now, you have to make sure that you're talking about the same part as I
am; the official naming is that the bottom case is where you find a
number of screws, the top case includes the light carbon fiber, the
trackpad, the speakers, the latch, and the power button.  So if you
really meant the *top* case, then yes, you can use it; but let me warn
you that installing it is quite difficult.  You might be able to just
remove the latch from a top case and install it on yours fairly easily,
but the spring mechanism is thin, weak metal, so you'd likely break it.
Otherwise, all the parts between the **first** 667 and 550 are
interchangeable; I don't know how many of the parts from the second 667
(DVI) can be swapped back to the 550/667 though; certainly the top case
(and hence latch) can't, since the ports are different.

Jennifer Landefeld <jennsbl at mac.com> writes:
> I'm certain someone here knows the definitive answer. Someone locally
> is
> selling a 667 bottom bezel and I'm trying to find out if it includes
> the latch
> mechanism (mine is broken making sleep a not so normal thing). If I
> can't
> use the full bottom I don't care -- can I use the parts for the latch
> if they come
> with it -- intact?

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com