[Ti] "I'm Emptying the Trash now, Dave" - not seen

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 11 20:09:22 PDT 2003

According to Tom Warner:

>You complained about Jaguar's sluggishness even when emptying
>_small_ files as if it were a characteristic of the OS.
>
>I'm saying that if it's a characteristic of the OS, we'd all be
>seeing it. I don't see it... ever. That suggests that it's a problem
>with your system and blaming Apple doesn't seem a very intelligent
>way to solve your particular problem.
>
>I'm not trying to fight with you and if the tone of my previous
>posts was offensive, I apologise.
>
>I think the problem is with your system. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.
>
>Tom

Hi Tom,
I sent the same initial thread to three LISTSERVs, obviously the same
situation as well as numerous others are documented elsewhere. Your
tone was not offensive. you owe me no apology. On pure grounds of
decency, i accept your apology, but reiterate it was not 'owed' at
all. My post was 'on the heels' of another, newer 'gripe' of mine re:
the 10.2.5 upgrade, and it was 'my' tone that was testy, and uncalled
for, and I apologize for being rude when you tried to offer help. It
was definitely uncalled-for rudeness on my part.

The Finder is the weak link in the OS, there's no way around it. The
10.2.5 upgrade has alleviated the slow Trash emptying, on my
particular system, but at a cost

After the upgrade, I noticed, within minutes:

My 2 gig Win2kPro Saved drive image was gone

All of my iChat custom icons [Pictures only] reverted to AIM icons

All iChat custom'outgoing messages' vanished, save for Away, and
Available [no trace of the other 6]

The "Recent Items" under Apple menu was changed from 50 Apps..to 10
Apps and 10 Docs, i never keep docs there, and 50 is what I have set
it for since 'my' day 1

The Dock was set for Turn hiding On, instead of "Off", 50 icons and
folders were gone, replaced by the same icons as would be seen in
'Root Enabled" state, including Mail, which i haven't loaded in a
year.

Even trivial things: My dialup modem and Apple Script, menulets were
transposed in the Menu bar.

None of these are game-breakers [well, the Dock was a pain in the
arse to reset to my way of working], but it begs the question: How
are my prefs and system prefs so easily munged by a simple
incremental upgrade?

To be honest, the number of folks who've responded, both on and off
list, is around 60-40 in favor of folks with no apparent
sluggishness. I've tossed, long ago, any third-party CMs, menulets,
etc, that the Finder is 'sensitive' to. the idea, though, that a
'bug' or glitch should be universal, in order to be considered a bug,
is flawed, in my opinion only. I feel that way because the entire
viability of the platform depends on the varied needs of users to be
accommodated, with flaky, poorly-written, code, that disregards Apple
OS conventions being 'filtered out' in terms of 'reasonable'
expectations of 'pro' performance.

it's a difficult issue to measure performance, in terms of a
standard, when so many variables must exist.

All the best,
~flipper