[Ti] The Latest

Jerry Krinock dearjerry at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 17 12:33:53 PDT 2003

on 03/04/17 09:27, Michael Bigley at wakinyan at fuse.net wrote:

> Recent analysts estimates of Apple's stock also showed them to
> be undervalued, with a "true" value of around $25/share.
>
> Apple needs to clean house on their PR arm!

Since the rest of my company is eating pizza right now, I shall share with
you folks the story of my old employer, Digital Microwave Corporation (DMC).

During 1998-2000, management was beside themselves trying to figure out why,
despite our great products, our great people, our great profits, and our
great cash balance, that our stock was _only_ selling for $35 while the
upstart PCom, with its lousy products, lousy (former DMC) people, lousy
profits and huge debt, was selling for $75.  They were convinced, like
Michael, that it was a problem of PR.  They did their best change this,
including hiring a consultanting firm who recommended changing the name of
the company to "DMC Stratex Networks".  (I thought this was _so_ retro.  It
reminded of when U.S. Steel changed their name to USX, and soon after laid
off employees, so that the people in Pennsylvania called them "US Ax".)

Anyhow, the result, as of today, is that DMC Stratex Networks is selling for
$2.40 while PCom is selling for about 10 cents.

So, you see, the market is not so stupid after all and justice will prevail
in the end.  Alternate morale: Don't wish too hard for what you want, you
might get it.

Jerry Krinock
San Jose, CA