weird word pronunciation

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Sat Apr 26 07:06:32 PDT 2003

On Saturday, April 26, 2003, at 06:05 AM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List
wrote:

> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:32:40 -0600
> Subject: Re: [Ti] ot Re: [Ti] xray machine safe for Powerbook? now
>  frisco
> 	and weird word pronunciation
> From: Sam Hotchkiss <ti at zlit.net>
>
> On 4/25/03 7:27 PM, "coccolithophorid at earthlink.net"
> <coccolithophorid at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Some say tomato some say tomatio.
>
> Um... Tomatoes are different from tomatillos.
>
> http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/vegetables/
> tomatill.html

my two amused cents:

"From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913):

Aluminum \A*lu"mi*num\ ([.a]*l[=u]*m[i^]*n[u^]m), n.
    See Aluminium."

Both spellings are accepted nowadays although -ium suffix is common to
Latin derived element names, e.g., strontium, uranium, palladium,
gallium, germanium, etc etc. Alumin-um would be an exception but it is
not: it is alumin-ium as all others -ium brothers (on scientific
textbooks that is)
Why the major producers in the world spell it aluminum... uhmm lack of
knowledge of Latin?

Said that: is more correct theater ot theatre, center or centre, color
or colour, etc etc etc (which means ('et cetera' and it is TWO words,
so why 'etc' and not 'et<space>c' ?

Just to end with an amusing note: why parking in driveways and drive in
parkways? (and all the rest of hilarious similar examples)

	Massimo

PS
I joint the chorus on Frisco: only if you are not fron San Francisco or
never lived there. I spent 5 years in the Bay Area and never heard it
from locals, although I knew it from elsewhere. After 5 years spent
there I have to say it sounds weird to my ears as well: Frisco?! give
me a break: sounds like an ice cream brand.