[Ti] Apple's future

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Tue Apr 29 20:12:35 PDT 2003

>  > No, he wasn't. He *said* he was going to "cut-and-paste this article and
>>  send it on Friday, for those who don't get the WSJ".
>
>Is it impossible to cut and paste an article, then cite it?
>
>FYI, Mr. Naegele is an attorney-- I doubt he's going to try to pass off a
>WSJ article as his own work

IF you put 50 cents in a newspaper box and take two newspapers, you
are stealing one of them (presuming the cost of the paper is 50
cents). It is a small crime, but it is stealing all the same. Going
into a site that requires payment and pasting an article from that
pay site into a mailing list is not different in the act, in fact it
is more like stealing a truck full of newspapers.

Attorney or not, copyright violation is stealing.  Now, if Mr.
Naegele gets permission from the WSJ or the author of the article to
reprint it, that is fine; it is also (usually) appropriate for
someone to post a paragraph or two along with a link to the entire
article.  However, from the WSJ subscription agreement:

"c.     You agree not to create abstracts from, scrape or display
headlines from our content for use on another web site or service.
You agree not to post any content from WSJ.com to newsgroups, mail
lists or electronic bulletin boards, without our written consent."

So even an abstract of an article posted to this list is a violation
of copyright law (as stated earlier in their subscription agreement).

--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com