[Ti] [OT] Airborne Express, was Re: [Ti] Electricity "leak"

gkar at mac gkar at mac.com
Sun Dec 28 06:48:29 PST 2003

On 12/27/03 11:07 PM, "Renaud Dreyer" <rdreyer at math.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Le samedi, 27 déc 2003, à 18:52 US/Pacific, Kynan Shook a écrit :
>
>> Well, I wouldn't normally do this, but I've had such *good*
>> experiences with Airborne Express that I have to leap to their defense
>> here...  I work for an Apple Authorized Service Provider, so I can
>> confirm that all of Apple's service parts (such as your power adapter
>> and cord, or any parts we use to fix computers) are shipped overnight
>> by Airborne.  Retail goods use a variety of shippers.  At our office,
>> I don't think we've ever had a package lost, or even delayed by
>> Airborne.  They are FAST.
>>

> Airborne Express *Ground* managed to lose the first 15" aluminium
> Powerbook I ordered from the Apple Store. After telling me for a whole
> week that it was going to be delivered "today" or "tomorrow", they
> finally admitted that they had completely lost track of it after I
> complained to Apple. All of this just before an important trip where I
> absolutely needed the machine. This is probably the worse consumer
> service experience I've ever had (the people I talked to on the phone
> couldn't read the tracking information on their own computers), and
> I'll make sure to avoid Airborne Express Ground in the future. Their
> overnight service, on the other hand, has been flawless so far. Regards,
>
>         Renaud Dreyer
>>
>> cheshirekat <cheshirekat at pobox.com> writes:
>>> Apple finally agreed to allow me to pick up the part at my nearby
>>> Apple
>>> Store while they filed a lost package claim with Airborne Express. I
>>> didn't realize that Apple only used Airborne Express (according to the
>>> Apple tech) but because of this situation, I doubt I will ever again
>>> trust them to deliver my package if I need to send in my Ti for
>>> repair.

Anyone who has done any amount of online purchasing probably has some horror
story about a carrier, I certainly do. But I had an AirBorne experience that
put me right off them. One of their hubs is about 20 minutes from where I
live and one summer I worked for Micro Warehouse which has a huge
warehouse/repair center in the industrial park next to the AirBorne complex.

To make a long story short, I missed deadline on a repair for an important
client and once I was finished the shop manager had me hustle the package
over to AirBorne to see if it could still make the flight. When I walked
onto the sorting floor I was absolutely amazed by what I saw. There was an
army of men and women taking packages from feeder conveyer belts and hand
sorting them onto other conveyer lines or huge bins. I saw packages clearly
marked "fragile" being tossed like medicine balls across the floor. I even
saw a guy purposely drop a monitor box and say, "I bet this won't work now!"

I don't know how representative that was but whenever possible, today I
specify a carrier other than airborne.

david

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

gkar at mac.com