[Ti] iDVD question

Dave Morrison davemor at gte.net
Wed Feb 12 18:31:26 PST 2003

On  Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:29:56 -0500 Dave <davemor at gte.net> wrote:

>> I read somewhere that there used to be a workaround to the
>> fact that I can't burn a DVD to an external FW DVD burner (LaCie
w/Pioneer
>> A03 drive) and that Apple made this patch "go away". Was this originally
>> some kind of software application, bios update or "hack"?

>Pssst! Don't tell anybody but I've heard it from a little birdy that there
>is a patch somewhere out there floating around that lets you use iDVD with
>3rd party drives. It was originally written by OWC to be used with their
>DVD-R drives. Apple came down hard on OWC and forced them the cease and
>desist! But as we all know, things like that don't just disappear - they
>just keep floating around...

>Of course it would be immoral, unethical and generally bad for your health
>to use such a thing. And if you download it, lightening may strike and fry
>both you and your computer. But...

>jg

Of course it would be immoral, unethical, etc. etc. and I'd never do
anything like that, but this question was really just an intellectual
exercise, right? Seriously, I've had a pretty weird time making this switch
from PC to Mac and this little "speedbump" just adds to the pile of
weirdness. Why does Apple give a flying flip as to what drive I use to make
my DVD's, anyway? Will I still need a Superdrive to use DVD Studio Pro? If
so, then I'm really going to start questioning my move to Mac. Granted, the
PC platform is still a complete kluge, but having so many options for
hardware and software has spoiled me. Did I jump ship at the wrong time?

dave