[Ti] Flaky *&%$ Superdrive!

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Tue Feb 18 01:25:13 PST 2003

On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 07:39  pm, John Griffin wrote:

> I just spent about 2 hours online with the AppleCare centre trying to
> resolve a problem with my SuperDrive.
>
> I have a really great CD of Acoustic Guitar music that I have been
> playing
> for the last couple of days while I work. This afternoon when I broke
> for
> coffee, I tried to eject it and it refused. It would bounce off the
> front of
> the drive facing and go back in.\

I often have the same problem on the CDROM in my Ti 400. On my machine
it's because (due to a low engineering tolerance imho) the plastic part
of my Ti (inside the metal shell) sometimes obscures the top of the CD
"Slit" slightly.

Lightly tapping the are to the right of the trackpad while ejecting
seems to work for me and cause no damage to the CD or device.

>  I tried rebooting with mouse button
> depressed. I tried going to Open Firmware and forcing a CD eject. I
> tried
> ejecting from iTunes, from the Finder. Nothing worked.

Yep sounds like a hardware issue like mine.

> Finally I tried inserting the corner of a business card and ejecting.
> It
> didn't work, but the next eject attempt did. I finally have the Jason
> Fowler
> Guitar disk in my hand!
>
> The thing is, I can't see anything different about this disk from other
> acoustic disks that I have. And other disks, both data and Audio slide
> in
> and out of my Superdrive without a problem.

Does the CD have a particularly thick label "painted" on the top?

--
Tarik