[Ti] best e-mail program

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Thu Jan 23 22:47:53 PST 2003

Gary Mark <gmark at cogeco.ca>
> On Thursday, January 23, 2003, at 08:26  AM, Steve Wozniak=20
> <steve at woz.org> wrote:
>> CyberDog (and PowerMail) use Apple's VTWN (?) technology
>
> Steve,
>
> Interesting that you mentioned this.  Maybe you were already gone from
> Apple by then, but Apple copied this technology from a company called
> SoftArc, which IMHO produces the BEST email/messaging server around
> called FirstClass.

Actually, it was code-named V-Twin, and then became AIAT, the Apple
Information Access Toolkit.  Most pages I found about it were rather
outdated (last updated in 1997 or 1998), but I was unable to find
anything relating V-Twin to Softarc.  One website written in the summer
of 1998 mentioned V-Twin being developed at Apple "a few years ago."
Not that FirstClass isn't a great system, however.  Though I must say
that searches (at least on the server I connect to) take FOREVER; only
a few seconds to search through one conference of a hundred messages or
so, but if I try to search through say 20 or 30 conferences with a
total of a few thousand messages, I'm sitting there for several
minutes.  Mail.app, on the other hand, can filter out what I'm looking
for in seconds among my thousands of E-mails.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html