[Ti] OS X on a PC? [forward from a different list]

Chris Olson chris at mercury1.astcomm.net
Sat Jan 25 20:10:31 PST 2003

On Saturday, January 25, 2003, at 09:37 PM, cbirds wrote:

> I have argued basically the same thing -- why do you want what you
> think
> is such a nice OS on such crummy hardware? Why not just use it on the
> hardware it comes with. :-)

Yes.  There's another one of those Mac on x86 sites at
www.petitiononline.com (or something like that).  If you go thru and
read the comments of the people who sign the petition you see things
like "Save us from Bill Gates", "If OS X ran on Pentium I would
definitely buy it", etc.  I really don't think these people have a clue.

If Apple *did* offer an alternative CPU architecture, it would still be
in a highly controlled environment where you'd have to buy the Apple
hardware to get it.  You ain't just going to go out buy the cheap Dell
and drop OS X in it.  Supporting x86 hardware is a nightmare - there is
no operating system that I know of that supports all hardware for x86,
including Windows XP.  So if OS X was to retain it's reputation of it
Just Works(tm), then the hardware environment has to be controlled.
--
Chris