[Ti] OS X on a PC? [forward from a different list]

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Sun Jan 26 01:21:15 PST 2003

Of course it is a hoax. It simply isn't possible to get PowerPC code to
run without emulation on an x86 architecture. Apple didn't leave
"something in the code" that would allow it. They would have to have
left an x86 version of the binaries for every little tool and
application, and they didn't.

_However_....

There is strong evidence that Apple does have OS X running on Intel.
Strong evidence. If you want to see some of it, download Safari and go:

% strings - Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari | grep -A 10 -B 10 Intel
c0 at 4:8 at 12@16:20
v0 at 4:8 at 12c16^c20
{_NSSize=ff}0 at 8:12 at 16{_NSSize=ff}20
/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist
Unk.
ProductVersion
ProductBuildVersion
%@:%@
PowerPC
Intel
%@ %@ (%@) %d MB
Single
Dual
BugReport
EmptyIdentifier
ExtraStuffIdentifier
Fewer Options
BugReportSheetIsExpanded
None

Notice the string "Intel" in the middle. This comes from the Safari
binary, and provides some support to the fact that OS X is running on
Intel somewhere - probably together with Safari - at Apple. I have
verified that when sending a bug report Safari checks with the Mach
kernel to see what architecture it is runnig on, so this is not simply
a compile time flag!

Note that this _could_ also be a leftover from OpenStep. Perhaps they
reused some debugging code which was designed to handle different
processor families? But Mach didn't run on PPC, did it?

In addition, there is an Open Firmware.app file (or something - my
memory deceives me) which is compiled as a fat binary, with both PPC
and Mach-O executable code in it. Probably a slip up.

If anyone else has any tangible evidence, please bring it forward. But
lets not take the existence of a petition as proof that some unknown
person managed to get a normal version of OS X with Aqua running
seamlessly on his x86 computer, because that is simply not possible.

/ Regards, David