[Ti] dirt slow Ti 550

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Mon Jan 27 17:03:34 PST 2003

Have you tried searching the Ti archives?

Sorry, I got SLAMMED with work this past week and have not had the time to
follow the slow-Ti550 thread as close as I wanted. Being a 550 owner though,
I have been paying attention..

My memory is completely depleted right now and I am running off the scratch
disk.. But I think I had the EXACT same problem as you a month or two back.

I may have posted to another BB - I will go check that now.

Basically though, I think I had that same problem and after 'killing' that
item, it never popped up again.

How often do you have iPulse updating?

On 1/27/03 3:53 PM, "Loren Schooley" <loren at flash.net> wrote:

> On 1/27/03 12:57 PM, "Hector Luna" <polonius19 at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> on 1/27/03 7:22 AM, Loren Schooley at loren at flash.net wrote:
>>

>>> Send a top -u to us, while iPulse is at 100%.
>>>

>> PID COMMAND      %CPU   TIME   #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT  RSHRD  RSIZE
>> VSIZE\
>>   0 kernel_tas  53.1%  3:12:53  28     0     -      -      -  40.0M+
>> 550M+\
>> 3> I've looked up "kernel_tas" on Google, but I'm not coming up with anything
>> useful. The most useful thing I've found is that someone said it might be
>> attributed to hardware/firmware issues. But I don't know what to do with
>> that. I got this PowerBook last March/April and haven't done anything
>> firmware-wise since. I've just doing the system upgrades pushed by Software
>> Update. Can I redo the current firmware over it's current self, even if it's
>> the same version? What about hardware tests. I ran the tests on the disk
>> that came with the PowerBook and both the long and short tests say that
>> everything is OK?
>>
>> It's still under warranty, does anyone have any experience with something
>> like this that Apple has addressed for them?
>>
>> Thanks again for the help,
>

>> -
>
> Kill aqua. Then you will be in console. Then read top -u and see if the
> kernel_tas appears. I fit still appears start killing stuff untill it stops.
> A kernel deals with hardware. If you have PID 0 issues, it's because the
> hardware bone isn't connecting to the software bone, at the kernel level.
> Prolly a device in \dev screwing you up. Kill 'em all 'till it behaves.

Bill Reburn