[Ti] [OT] I come here seeking domain registrars.

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Tue Jul 1 16:07:45 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 01:02:45AM +0200, Lisbeth Zachs wrote:

> s?ndagen den 29 juni 2003 kl 17.17 skrev Michael Bigley:
> >My greatest reason for abandonong them is their participation in the
> >"barely legal" direct mail to domain owners that their domain was
> >about to expire.   Anyone who engages in such disreputable business
> >practices does not deserve my business.
> ------------
> Is there a not to much or to little in the statement above? As I read
> it you object to that somebody being adviced that it is time to renew
> their domain registration so that it shouldn't expire? And you feel
> this should be considered barely legal? I must interpret this wrongly
> somehow.

1)  NetSol has a habit of sending out postal mail notifying the
holder of "urgent" renewal need when the renewal is 3-6 months
away from being due.

2)  NetSol (and certain other registrars, it's just more distasteful
that the registry controller would do this) had a habit of sending
out "renewal" notices for domains that were registered with another
registrar.  Acting on the notice would also transfer the domain
to NetSol's registrar control.  My memory may be faulty, but I do
believe they were successfuly sued over this, and a court granted
an injunction against NetSol forbidding this practice.

Google is my friend, but currently time isn't.  Hard and fast facts
should be looked up before arguments over the statements ensue.
I pre-emptively admit I may well have my facts wrong.

--
Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark at bitshift.org                                       mark at seti.org