[Ti] Titanium G4 Pros and Cons

Henry Kalir kalirhe at umdnj.edu
Sat Jul 12 05:24:44 PDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Joseph Fisher wrote:

> The facts from the thread are;  (a) We love our TiBooks (b) whether we
> want to admit it or not, they are fragile and we were, IMO "beta"
> testers for this now defunct series (note; no more Titanium out of
> Cupertino). Yes, that is Apple's fault, but Apple isn't my Mommie, they
> are a going concern, a business and as such have a goal to make a
> profit, battle competition,  and keep stockholders happy. This is
> covered well in the great book  Apple the Naked Truth by Scott Kelby.

Very well said. My experience with my 800 MHz Ti  parallels your (except
for the logic board). We are all "Apple Devotees"...I've been an Apple
user since 1980 (Apple  II+), hence our tolerance for the imperfections
which, had this NOT been Apple, would have caused most of us to dump this
company in a hurry or revalidate for ourselves just how bad Wintels really
are.

Let's call a spade a SPADE...please. For many of us - the quality control
and design of the Ti proved to be less than perfect. My Ti still travels
the world with me, but I do view it as fragile and treat it with silk
gloves. It's a great laptop ..in the cold of the winter. At all other
seasons - it gets to sit on a table or chair.

So - what's the "final word"? There is none...it's an ongoing thread of
freely expressed opinions and shared experiences.

I can only hope that Apple will rediscover quality control (hire 'em back,
Steve!)

Best,

Henry