[Ti] Heat & Fans

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Tue Jun 3 08:56:43 PDT 2003

1.  It doesn't matter.  When you put it to sleep, the computer is no
longer producing massive amounts of heat, so it will continue to cool
off.  The fans are designed to kick on long before damage begins.
AFAIK, all Apple laptops, and probably all desktops too, have thermal
protection circuitry that will force the computer to either halt or
sleep once the computer reaches a certain critical temperature, and the
computer will not reboot until it has cooled.  I've never seen a
computer that actually goes into thermal shutdown, however.
2.  My Big Al is *worlds* cooler than my Ti/500.  The fans are
significantly quieter, too; they've only gone into high speed about two
or three times in the last month, and high speed is rather quiet still.

NaegeleWDC at aol.com writes:
> The fans on my Ti 800 seem to be performing just fine; they come on
> periodically and then shut themselves off.  However, I have two
> questions:
>
> (1)  Is it best to leave the fan running even though I have finished
> with my work temporarily, or is it better to put the Ti to sleep?
> Obviously when it goes to sleep, the fan ceases to function.
>
> (2)  What has been the experience of new "Big Al" owners with respect
> to the heat issue?  Do they seem to run hotter or cooler than the Ti?

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html