[Ti] iMic question (was Audio & Ti500mhz)

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Mon Jun 9 10:59:09 PDT 2003

--On Monday, June 09, 2003 07:52 AM -0700 George Rothrock <grafzepp at mac.com> wrote:

> I found that you can't record directly from a turntable to the iMic.  You need a receiver with a "phono" channel.  I could be mistaken or misinformed, but I understand that the turntable uses a channel standard different that all others (CD, MD, etc.), so a receiver with an actual "phono" input is required.

Normally, that is correct. You usually cannot plug a turntable directly into any other audio equipment except for a phone preamp for two reasons: the signal level is too low and the signal from the phono cartridge has to be filtered to account for the equalization used to cut the record. (To make life easier for the cutter head and playback needle, and to improve final results, they boost the high frequencies and reduce the low frequencies when cutting the master. This has to be reversed on playback.)  The phono inputs on your hifi receiver have a phono preamp/RIAA equalizer behind them.

I thought the iMic had a phono preamp/equalizer function built to permit direct from turntable recording. But, the RIAA equalization function is actually in the Griffin Final Vinyl application that you use to make your recordings. In the equalization window, there is a a button for "connected to turntable" which will process the signal with the reverse RIAA filter. Final Vinyl has a nice ability to split tracks while recording with one click of the mouse and also has some rudimentary post-recording editing capability built in. Give it a look-see. As already mentioned, it's a free download from Griffin's web site <http://www.griffintechnology.com> and comes with an easy-to-understand PDF manual.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com