[Ti] PCMCIA cards to work with Airport

Mark O'Brien rmobrien at mac.com
Wed Jun 11 05:54:47 PDT 2003

On 6/11/03 6:56 AM, "Selwyn Ward" <selwyn.ward at btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Forgive me if this is a little OT, but this seems to be the best place to
> ask to get a sensible reply.  Whenever I buy a new PB, the older ones rotate
> among my children.  Now that I have the 17"Al, one of my sons has quickly
> grabbed my Ti and his little sister has eyes on the G3 PB he was previously
> using.  She wants tho' to use the G3 to connect to our wireless network.
> The obvious way forward for this is to buy a PCMCIA card for the G3.  Tho'
> there are dozens of these available, all those I've looked at so far seem to
> come only with PC drivers.  Has anyone successfully used a PCMCIA wireless
> card in a Powerbook?  If so, what card & what drivers did you use?

Which PB G3? If it has Firewire, it's the Pismo and can use the Apple
Airport card under the keyboard and the Airport software. If it doesn't have
Firewire, it's an earlier model and can only use a PC card as you've
mentioned.

Which OS? If it's running OS 9, most WiFi PC cards come with Apple drivers
or can be recognized by the Airport software. I have an Orinoco Wavelan card
that works with the Airport software in OS 9.

If you're running OS X, you'll need a third party driver. There is one from
IOXperts <http://www.ioxperts.com/devices_80211b.html>, but I haven't used
it. I use the driver from <http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net>, and it
works fine.

Mark