[Ti] Keyboard/Screen protection on 17"?

Randy Reames randy at reames.org
Wed Jun 11 07:13:13 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 11, 2003, at 01:04 AM, Kynan Shook wrote:

> He's right.  When I first got my PowerBook G4/500, it took several
> weeks to get the first keyboard marks; when I had the display
> replaced, it took just a day to get remarked.  For that matter, I
> haven't seen a single case of screen marks that aren't removable; if
> you use the right stuff, and work hard enough at it, you can wipe them
> off.  Maybe if you let them build up for a year or two, I suppose...
> But I've worked on literally hundreds of PowerBooks, so I've seen
> almost everything.
>
> But if you think about it, many of the solutions–a cloth, a piece of
> paper, the foam that the computer shipped with–involve putting MORE
> material between the screen and the keyboard to rub against the
> screen.  Especially the ones like the paper and foam, which won't
> spread out the pressure much.  The big difference is the lack of skin
> oils.

I take my TiBook back and forth to work everyday, in sleep mode. :) I
don't use a screen protector or keyboard cover. I just wipe off my
screen with a lens cleaning cloth and LCD screen cleaner.

Kynan's post reminded me of the time my then 3yr old (4yr today) drew a
big circle on my screen with a ball point pen. I just used the cloth
and cleaner and removed the ink and I don't even notice a trace of it.
I had completely forgot about that until today.

All these covers and protectors remind me of my grandma and her plastic
covered furniture. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Maybe
it's because I am a chronic hand washer that I don't have much finger
oil.

I do have some minor paint flaking. I have a little less that one month
on my 1 year Apple hardware warranty.  Does anyone know if this is
covered?

--
Randy Reames  ~(*)~ www.reames.org
  "Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must

--
Randy Reames  Web Developer  Midwest Energy
OS X 10.2.6 ~ Debian GNU/Linux ~ TiBook 667