[Ti] SGI Monitor

Greg Markle MarkleG at kleerdex.com
Fri Jun 13 10:50:34 PDT 2003

> You had better find out what kind of adapters are available
> and how much
> they cost. I am not sure on the SGI monitors but all of SUN
> Microsystems
> monitors that I have seen have proprietary connections. Some
> older ones use
> a 3 cable connection, while the newer models use one
> proprietary plug with 4
> separate coaxial cable looking connections on the inside.
>
> On the otherside depending on the TI model, you will need to
> get to either
> DVI or apples proprietary connector. This could be
> complicated and I am sure
> Silicon Grahics and/or SUN do not build the custom cable you
> will need.
>
> Greg

The "coaxial cable" looking connectors are called BNC connectors and I have never experienced them being anywhere but on the monitor end.  The cables I've used have always had standard VGA connectors on the other end...I happen to run a Nokia monitor that came off of an SGI workstation which uses a BNC cable on my Quicksilver right now and I foresee no problems when my new PowerBook arrives.  I also used to run a BNC connected Digital Computer Systems 17" Sony Trinitron on my 7300 and that merely required a $20 adapter to connect to the then proprietary Mac video port.  The only real difference with BNC connectors is that it supposedly cuts down interference between the individual signals to the monitor, other than that they are generally standard VGA on the computer nd.