[Ti] [OT] just coincidence ?

Pete Zimowski petez at mac.com
Sun Jun 22 15:07:21 PDT 2003

> Having just been at a class on Competitive Intelligence, I just
> wonder if the (below, rumoured) new P4 announcement on Monday (start
> date of the Apple WWDC) is just coincidental, or whether it is more a
> pre-emptive strategic move by Intel?  If Intel thought (knew) that a
> competitor was about to announce a significant, very fast CPU, what
> better tactic than to make an announcement the same day, to dilute
> the impact of the competitive move.

I had thought about this too.

In addition, Microsoft will launch its PocketPC 2003 operating system and
Gateway and Hewlett-Packard will announce new PDAs  tomorrow (6/23) as well.

FWIW, on 6/23/1912, Alan Turing, the founder of computer science, was born
(I found that on one of those birthday sites).

I think the coincidence would be revealed in looking back at when the WWDC
date was changed, versus the original dates projected for the other
announcements.

I don't have time to figure it out, as I am busy getting psyched for
tomorrow.  Am going with a couple of other local Mac fanatics to the
Rockingham Park Apple Store in sales-tax-free lovely New Hampshire, armed
with cameras and American Express card.

Don't go to a satellite-streamed WWDC keynote without it!

Seems to me, if Apple really wants to nail the others in the "war for words"
in computer news, they should announce the immediate downloadability of
iTunes for Windoze.

But as Alec Baldwin said in Pearl Harbor, "but, that's just me"

Alec Baldwin as Gen. Jimmy Doolittle.  Now THAT'S a stretch....

Love to all,

Pete