[Ti] What A Lemon

garretts at xmission.com garretts at xmission.com
Mon Mar 24 12:11:07 PST 2003

> Amazing! Is this the exception, or (gulp) is this the rule?
>
> I've got a Ti G4 800 MHz. Other than the marks on the screen (from the
> keyboard) - it's been working OK...so far.

I have an original Ti 400 and haven't experienced any problems in the
2+ years I've had it, aside from some minor marks on the screen.  I did
swap a noisy hard drive (because of the space more than the noise, but
it was annoying), although it continues to work fine in a firewire
enclosure.

>> DVD drive replace 3
>> times, screen replaced twice (within 2 weeks of each other because of
>> recurring vertical line), motherboard replaced once, and the top shell
>> (around the keyboard area) replaced once.  I practically have a new
>> computer with all the times this thing's been in the shop.

Yikes!  I must say, the stories I hear on this list will definitely
cause me to think twice about picking up AppleCare next time I purchase
a laptop.  I'd love to see some statistics on rate of failure for these
machines.  (Ditto for the iPod... I've heard plenty of bad stories
about those, too.  I've sent mine back once already.)

Garrett