[Ti] STFU already

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Sat May 3 01:19:49 PDT 2003

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 01:09:13AM +0200, Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

> Chris - should I apologise that my "[OT] Applemusic.com - is the
> price right?" thread is one of the longest I have seen?  I carefully
> marked it OT, on the basis that those who wish to keep strictly to
> the Ti-focus can simply do ALT-click on the title, then CMD-D and the
> thread is gone to Trash.
> Please use this process, rather than quitting the list.

This, of course, assumes everyone is using Apple's mail.app.  Everyone
isn't.

Not to be overly-blunt, but "just delete it" is a poor justification
for spam, and just as poor a justification for off-topic posting.
The general rule of thumb is this:  if you know it's outside the
scope of the forum to which you wish to post, don't.  If everyone
ignored mailing list/discussion forum/netnews group scopes and charters,
every instance of same would be a general-purpose discussion list, and
we could eliminate a massive amount of redundancy by winnowing the
entire Internet down to a single, general-purpose discussion list.

The past 30+ years of email, the past 25 years of BBS use, and the
past 24 years of netnews (aka USENET) have demonstrated that most
people would prefer it not be so, much to the perennial dismay of
a small but vocal group with rotating membership.

--
Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark at bitshift.org                                       mark at seti.org