[Ti] No password protection on Target disk mode?

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Fri May 9 03:08:32 PDT 2003

On 5/9/03 0:19, "JFL" <jfl1970 at mac.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm the proud owner of a brand spanking new 17" PowerBook G4 from a
> not-so-new Titanium PowerBook G4 (400 MHz).  I was transfering files over
> using the firewire target disk mode and quickly discovered that this mode is
> NOT password protected under OS X or 9's rudimentary users' passwords;
> meaning anyone can take any Mac's files without even the simplest of
> protection schemes.
>
> My question to all is, is there a freeware or shareware fix to this?  Or is
> there some setting in OS X that I'm missing?
>
> Thanks in advance.

The only thing I know of that will stop it is turning on Open Firmware
Password Protection as explained in the Apple KB Article #106482.

To wit:

Features of Open Firmware Password Protection

When turned on, Open Firmware Password Protection:

    * blocks the ability to use the "C" key to start up from a CD-ROM disc.
    * blocks the ability to use the "N" key to start up from a NetBoot
server.
    * blocks the ability to use the "T" key to start up in Target Disk Mode
(on computers that offer this feature).
    * blocks the ability to start up in Verbose mode by pressing the
Command-V key combination during startup.
    * block the ability to start up a system in Single-user mode by
depressing the Command-S key combination during startup.
    * blocks a reset of Parameter RAM (PRAM) by pressing the
Command-Option-P-R key combination during startup.
    * requires the password to use the Startup Manager, accessed by pressing
the Option key during startup (Figure 1).
* requires the password to enter commands after starting up in Open
Firmware, which is done by depressing the Command-Option-O-F key combination
during startup.
--
Jesse

'Tis sweet to hear the watch-dog's honest bark
    Bay deep mouth'd welcome as we draw near home;
'Tis sweet to know an eye will mark
    Our coming, and look brighter when we come.
- Lord Byron